PrEP (HIV Pre-exposure Prophylaxis) is a medicine for HIV negative people. It can reduce the risk of catching HIV when taken as instructed. The PrEP impact trial is hoping to answer 3 questions:
- How many people attending sexual health clinics need PrEP?
- How many of these start PrEP?
- How long do they need PrEP for?
Who can be involved?
- A person who is HIV negative
- A person aged over 16 years of age
- A person at high risk of HIV infection
What happens to people taking part in this research?
You will need to undertake a sexual health screen including an HIV test, you will then be prescribed the drug PrEP. Researchers will contact you once month after the initial assessment via telephone and you will need to attend the sexual health clinic every 3 months for resupply of the medication and for sexual health screening.